getting to the start line

                           Starting a Journey can be the best bit, there is always an elation that at last after all the preperation you are finally on your way, getting to the start line of any journey/race/expedition is nearly always harder than the adventure itself,

 


                After a bit of research on the Stevenson way I had emailed Sheila who is a highlands and islands midwife working around Oban mull plus the surrounding islands, she still pops home to Falkirk every other weekend, hoping I could time my kick off on the walk by getting a lift to the start line and a bit of local knowledge from Sheila, turned out to be a great idea her local knowledge was priceless, even though she hadn’t heard of the actual walk, once she had read about it she knew exactly where the start was, she offered to give me a lift to the start once I got to mull, because she would be on the isle of mull at that time and nowhere near logistically close to Falkirk, it would be better if I got the train up which is a good thing I like that train journey anyway and it cuts the carbon footprint, then she would drop me at the walk start, well at least at the shore line over to the island of  Erraid, which Sheila had visited on numerous occasions in her capacity as community midwife.

            That was it decision made I booked my train ticket before I got a chance to change my mind,or something else came along,(which it sadly did) I bought a single anytime one way ticket for forty one pound I think that’s good value for money, this made me feel glad I had no car or van being at this time seven or eight months at the time of typing without motorized transport, this original train ticket fortunately i managed to change for a new one three days later than originally planned, very sadly my good friend big sneds had died I had a funeral to attend now instead of a hike to start, after all the fantastic adventures me and sneds had shared in our thirty years of friendship a couple of days delay was no hardship to see my good friend off 
    Polmont-Glasgow-Oban – mull day one

               Sneds funeral the day before was NOT the reason I was feeling ill a bit disorganized and running late for my train, I had been ill for three days by that time it seemed some sort of food poisoning or whatever was my guessing?! These things happen to everyone now and then before I got to the funeral I projectile vomited into the  bushes, this was the day before the planned departure( I am rarely sick) My mate Gary kindly gave me a lift to the crematorium, seeing how ill I was he probably regretted that and thankfully dropped me where I could walk and be sick, after the funeral I felt much better and had a few beers and dinner with wee Kenny, still an early bed for me though as I knew I was up early to finish packing 


               Thankfully in the morning while I was dashing around, my mate Brian offered me a lift to the train station which I grasped with both hands, perfect I made the train in plenty time for my 11:37 train to Glasgow, with all the rushing I had forgot to pack snacks and maybe a sneaky beer for the train, there would be no train trolley during these times of the pandemic I stupidly never even had water!

               Once at Glasgow queen street the timing was perfect for the Oban train you need to be careful to choose one of the front two train carriages for going to Oban, the back two coaches are for fort William,( the train splits at Crianlarich), I got a table seat and had the four seats around it to myself until Helensburgh, where a bloke dressed like an outdoors enthusiast(he wasn’t) got on and sat across from my table, he started to speak to me I could tell he had been drinking and with his mask on and my poor hearing! I had to tell him sorry I never got a word of that pal! He was apologetic and asked if I wanted a beer with his mask off? I said yes thank you very much and I got given a can of chemical T, which I received gratefully cheers was about the last word I got in for the next 20mins, he was a pleasant fellow turns out he was a railway worker but now works at a distillery something to do with bespoke labels on expensive bottles, he then gave me another can and asked if I minded if he had a wee snooze? Of course, not said I - secretly glad to get back to enjoying the wonderful scenery out the window with occasional glances at my book,

               The west coast line Glasgow to Oban is a very scenic train journey in my top five in Scotland, it seemed to go too quickly and I was at Oban for 3PM, heading directly to the ferry ticket office for the next sailing, the sales girl said the next ferry at five was full (I witnessed the 3pm final boarding) I would have to buy a ticket for the six PM ferry, ok if your sure that’s my only option then I shall have to buy that thanks, I text Sheila who takes the ferry often and was collecting me at the other side, she said there was no chance that earlier ferry was full and that I should just get on it! She was with bob and the family I was to text her when I was on the ferry,

               Having time to kill I thought I would try some fish from one of the many sea front eateries, they all had either huge ques or were sold out, a bag of chips was consumed on a walk round with my big pack on looking for a shop, I found my way to a medium sized tesco and bought further snacks a bottle of whisky and some beers then joined the que for the five PM ferry! There was only two others in the que when the gate opened the guard scanned my ticket with a machine (slight worry) then waved me on, the ferry was very quiet all car drivers must stay in their vehicles now during the pandemic the shop and bar are also shut, three of us passengers and one ferry worker I have no idea why the sales girl didn’t want me to board this?


               Once of the ferry at Craignure it wasn’t long before Sheila picked me up for the journey to the camp site that bob Joyce and the boys had parked their motorhome in, bob had the seats out and the beers were soon cracked braw happy days, with too much to talk about and never enough time to get through all our topics we need to catch up on and never will! After a lovely dinner We took the boys Calum and Logan for a walk along the beach, the night flew by, no need for me to camp Sheila stays in Tobermory in a cool wee house, I could spend the night there and she would drop me at the start point in time for low tide the next day. Perfect 


  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Adventure ideas can spring from nowhere

HEB 4 ferry to harris and tarbert stay

HEB 2 the cycling begins